Wednesday, December 2, 2009

explore--ode to the road trip

What's your preferred mode of travel?

As previously posted, I'm fearful of flying but my desire to travel overcomes that in the end. For me, the real source of travel joy is the road trip. I love to drive. I come from a long line of open-road-lovers and I'm happy to have a road trip on my horizon. This Christmas I'm leaving the plains of northern Texas for the snow and mountains of central Utah. I'm not sure yet of all the stops and restaurants we will seek out on the way but I do know we will be on the historic route 66 for a bit and will be stopping here...
Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo Texas and...


Arches National Park. I can't wait to show my girls the natural wonders as well as the seedy velvet Elvis paintings at the truck stops.
o
o
One of my favorite road trips happened two summers ago. My hubby and I spent four days driving around southern Utah and it was one of our best trips ever. Utah is a natural beauty wonderland. Here are some of my pics...
Zions
aspen trees on scenic route 14 outside of Cedar City
we took mostly back roads and scenic routes and loved-luved-loved the drive

The texture, scale and colors of the rock are inspiring and intoxicating.
o
We ate and everyone should eat at this amazing grill in the middle of nowhere on Boulder mountain.
We loved our meal at Hell's Backbone Grill SOOO much we bought their cookbook.

This book is fabulous, not only are the recipes delicious (ie Outrageous Chocolate Chile Cream and Pear Gingerbread with Butterscotch Sauce) and simple the photography and story of this little restaurant-that-could and the town, farms and people involved in its existence are extraordinary.
 

yasmin